Sunday, May 21, 2006

Beng is a Happier Person in Beijing than in Singapore

A casual comment made by Chewy Chew, my best friend in Beijing (and some say Hubei). A casual remark that made me ponder over and over again for a couple of days. Having spent numerous days and weekends together in the last ten months, he should be the best person to make the observation.

I never thought about this 'me being happier here' issue. Is he right?

I think he is.

Yeah, I think he is right. Ooh...touch wood.

Apart from missing Mum, my nieces, my nephews ie my family and my regular buddies such as Kai and apart from missing my usual drinking holes such as No.5, alley bar and sailing...Yes, I am generally happier here in Beijing.

I was bored stiff in Singapore. My work, my life, my dreams.....had reached a standstill then. Actually it reached a standstill for a good two to three years. There was no breakthrough. And I thought that was it. That was the end of my 'life'. I was going to live my 'standstill' life for the rest of my life. And the very thought of it just made the standstill even more of a standstill.

In the last ten months, I found renewed interest in my work (Oh gosh, did I just said that?). My love for drinking heightened (and thats not altogether good). Slowly but surely, I must find renewed interest in living again... I need to find passion in life again. I need to go back to my french 'roots', my 'artistic' roots, my love for nature, for the outdoors.

I need to find the old me again in this foreign land.

I should be able to. I have to. I don't have forever here.

Cheers, to a happier Beng

2 comments:

lisachua said...

cheers to you! yes, we all need to be happy..

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»