Sunday, February 04, 2007

Its NOT anyone's fault that he or she is OLDER.

I was very disturbed by two comments made by two people in recent months. And these are two people that mean alot to me.

One was a family member. He said he didn't want his two daughters, aged 7 and 9 to hang out with this particular group of ladies from church. Reason? This group of ladies are in their 40s, not married and hang out in church most of the time. He doesn't want his daughters to end up like them.
  • And what crime did these women commit to deserve this 'treatment'?
  • And how on earth would knowing these women result in the 2 girls being single eventually?
  • And what exactly is wrong with that? I'm sure some of them didn't choose to be single. And for all you know, some CHOSE to be single. Point is, why can't they be single and be treated/seen as being normal?

The next comment was made by a close colleague. He said he would never allow his son (he's not even borned yet) to marry nor see an older woman. Reason? A man should marry a woman thats younger than him. Period.

  • And what kind of conservative, senseless notion this is?
  • And how could an educated young man bear such a ridiculous, illogical perception/thought?

Its ALL about age isn't it? From getting the right mix for parties to introduction to guys to joining of cell group (YES! :->), one is constantly being reminded that one is of a certain age group so one may not fit in to this party or be suitable for this dude.

Very often I hear remarks such as,"SO N SO won't consider so-and-so because SO N SO prefer younger girls. I think I would introduce Girl X to SO N SO instead" So, even if so-and-so is fun, witty and hilarious, it doesn't matter coz she's OLDER. JUST because.... Has it ever occur to anyone that Girl X is less funny, less witty and less hilarious?". Ah, I see it doesn't matter. As long as she's younger.

Its sad but I can understand why Age plays a significant role in certain circumstances. eg. People of a certain age would have experienced or gone through certain challenges or what have you in life and therefore are better able to click with one another. They speak the same lingo perhaps.

The last guy I dated was 6 years younger. He never quite knew I was older. He never asked and it never matter to both of us. We had a great time together while it lasted. Age was never an issue. I found him Cool and I reckon he found me Cool too. That was all that matters.

Age as a yardstick is over-rated, over-used (and sometimes abused) in many circumstances. U know, IF there comes a day where being COOL is THE new quotient, alot of people are SO NOT going to make it. And it doesn't matter if he or she is younger.

3 comments:

noz said...

talking about being superficial...c'mon age is just a number man.. I know that for sure.
For those who think a younger babe can offer more than an older one...talk to my hand.

orangeclouds said...

ok touche :) i apologise.

Anonymous said...

If it is worth anything - it wasn't meant for witty, intelligent women (like u) that r older than Lukey boy. And if I have caused you any dismay, it wasn't intentional and I apologise. Still I guess I am speaking of myself, my choices, my views. Who knows what the boy will decide 30 years down the road? Will I have a say then? Anyone's guess...will keep u posted. :)