Monday, March 12, 2007

It only happens here....

This is a country where your title is more important than your name. So its always CEO Liu, Director Chen, Manager Lee etc etc. (Now you know why he's Chairman Mao). Never Mr Liu, Mr Chen or Mr Lee.

My AD title is '处 长 ' in Chinese (pronounced 'Chu Zhang'), so I am "Xu Chu" in short or Director Koh. So whenever I go, I hear "Xu Chu, Xu Chu" which to me sounds like "Virgin Koh, Virgin Koh". Why? Because the word "Virgin" is "处 女 " (pronounced "Chu Nu") in Chinese. I am not complaining of course.

This is also a country where everyone wants to be associated with whichever big boy u mentioned. Particularly so with this contact of ours. I remember attending a meeting with him and boy, whichever name I brought up, he had had lunch or dinner with him and recently too. Just when I thought he had exhausted all forms of association, this contact said, "Oh, CEO XX?! I know him. My mum and him were childhood friends."

If not for having to live up to my "Virgin Koh" title, I was once so close to saying, "As for Chairman XX whom....ahem... I SLEPT with LAST NITE...."; knowing fully well this is one association he can't beat me to it (unless he's gay which he won't admit even if he is, being a Chinese).

So u see, Mimosa Koh B H? Who's that? Its Virgin Koh oops I mean Director Koh here.

No comments: